If you’re sick and tired of wondering “Where’s my email?” – then, you’ve come to the right place. I’ll show you how to add email addresses to your safe sender list, also known as a whitelist.
Unsolicited marketing messages are known as spam. These messages cause a headache for email subscribers, which is why email service providers have put spam filters in place. These spam filters look for certain characteristics.
If an email has any of these characteristics, it can be flagged as spam. Once it’s flagged, it’s sent to a spam or bulk mail folder, where it sits until it’s deleted by the system.
In most cases, spam filters do a great job. They keep inboxes clear of clutter so users can see the messages they want to see. However, spam filters can make mistakes and mark solicited (wanted) emails as spam. This is most common with email lists and website subscriptions.
There are two ways you can prevent solicited emails from ending up in the spam folder. First, you can add the sender to your address book. In order to do this, you’ll need the sender’s email address. The email address is usually provided when you sign up for an email list or website. However, if the email address isn’t provided, you’ll need to wait until you receive your first email.
You may have to go in your spam folder to retrieve it. Once you get the email, you can open it up and get the address. Then, you can add the email address to your address book.
In most cases, that will be enough. However, you can take additional precautions to ensure email addresses end up on your “Safe Sender” list. I’m going to outline the procedures you’ll need to follow for some of the most popular email providers.
If you are using the popular free email program GMAIL, you’ll need to follow a few steps to ensure your emails make it to the white list. You will need to:
- Open the email you want to put in your safe sender list.
- Go to the title line of the email and move your cursor toward the date.
- Click “More Options.”
- Select “Add Sender to Contacts List.”
If you have already received an email and it ended up in the spam folder, open up your spam folder, select the email and click “Not Spam.”
If you want to keep emails in your inbox instead of your bulk folder with Yahoo!, you need to:
- Open your mailbox and click “Options.” This is located at the top of the page.
- Select “Mail Options.”
- Click on “Filters.” You’ll find this on the left hand side of the page.
- Click the “Add” button.
- Put the sender’s email address in the “Sender” section.
- Click “Add Filter.” (step 4) This will save your filter.
If you use Hotmail, you will need to:
- Log into your email and click “Options”
- Choose “More Options.”
- Under “Preventing Junk Email” select “Safe and Blocked Senders.”
- Choose “Safe List.”
- Enter the sender’s email address in the “From” line.
- Click “Add.”
Go Daddy Webmail
If you are using Go Daddy webmail with your hosting plan, you will need to:
- Open up your email and place a checkmark to the left of the email you want to add to the safe sender list.
- Right click the email.
- Select “’Allow Sender” from the “More Actions” drop down menu.
- Click “Apply
If you use Microsoft Outlook, you will need to:
- Open up your Junk E-Mail folder.
- Select the email.
- Click “Not Junk.”
If you’re still unsure of how to add email addresses to the safe sender list, you can contact your email provider. The customer representative will be able to add email addresses to your list in a matter of minutes.
In most cases, the representative will just need the sender’s email address. However, some email providers will also need the sender’s IP address. In that case, you can forward the email provider one of the sender’s emails. If the provider is unable to get the IP address from the email, you will have to contact the sender.
As you can see, it is relatively simple to learn how to add email addresses to your safe sender list. Follow these steps so you can receive all of your important emails.