Goal Setting and Action Plan
The New Year is the time when we all make ambition-packed resolutions or renew our plans and goals for the following year. We vow to make it happen this time, and we plan and prepare our entire lives to make sure it happens. Then, February arrives and we realize we started off with a bang and have ended up discouraged and frustrated. We had the best of intentions – so what happened?
Simply speaking – the goals you set turned out to be only dreams. You didn’t know how or didn’t have the passion to make them a reality. What you needed was a plan of action. Dreaming and setting goals looks and sounds great, but won’t get you anywhere if you don’t have an action plan.
Moving beyond goals and dreams takes a great action plan that you can use to plot your success and meet your financial goals. But, many people don’t know how to set goals. Don’t feel alone – it’s mostly a learned skill. Some begin with goals too lofty to be real, and you can become discouraged quickly.
Here are 5 time-worthy tips to help you with your plan of action that will ensure success in 2013:
- Don’t set unreachable goals. There’s nothing more frustrating than falling incredibly short of your goals. Start out by setting a financial benchmark based on a time that is easily attainable. If you reach that goal earlier than your target date, good for you. Use the time to research, plan, implement and reassess your next goal.
- Set daily, weekly and monthly goals. Don’t simply say that you’re going to make $100,000 this year. Divide it up into attainable goals, and you can enjoy each victory along the way. And, don’t just set dollar amounts. How are you going to reach those financial goals? You need to plan every aspect of your path to success for the day, week, month and year.
- Set your priorities. What’s going to do you the most good in the long haul? You’ve heard the old saying, “You’ve got to love yourself before you can love another?” Well, you’ve also got to make yourself your Number One client.
Putting yourself first means that you create an environment that’s going to put you over the top, professionally. When you put yourself first, you’ll be more able to take care of other priorities down the line. Priorities such as spending a certain time period working on affiliate marketing or writing helpful content can make all the difference.
- Identify and alleviate distractions. Distractions are probably the number one cause of Internet marketers not reaching their goals. Somehow, when you work from home, others think you’re free from responsibilities and don’t have a ‘real’ job. Think about what your distractions were that kept you from reaching your long term goals. Once you identify them you can take steps to eradicate them.
Unplug your phone, turn off the television or anything you know you must do to keep those distractions at bay. The Pomodoro Technique is often used successfully to reduce distractions and increase productivity. Research it and I think you’ll find it very helpful, and check out this post on how to overcome procrastination.
- Execute your strategies for success. Jump into your plan of action like you’re saving your life. Give 100% of everything you do to make 2013 the most successful year yet. Set the Focus Master timer, kitchen timer or Pomodoro timer, and go to town, staying focused on ONE task until complete!
Use the tips above to help you reach each and every goal on your list. But, you know yourself better than anyone. Create your own strategies that will work for you and get an accountability partner.
The Importance of Time Management
Time management techniques are critical for reaching short and long term goals. Being able to focus on the task at hand is difficult for most of us, so I recommend using a time management tool that will work for you.
I used to think that being able to multi-task is a skill, and boy was I wrong! It’s really a distraction that could keep you from reaching the ultimate goal of offering the best product you can to your readers/subscribers. When you give your full attention to one task at a time, you’ll ensure that the results are quality – not thrown together when your attention was divided.
Tools such as those I’ve listed below can really put you back on an effective time-management track:
- Chrometa. This app lets you track how much time you’re spending on tasks without the use of timers or notes. Chrometa can be your personal time-keeper by noting how much time you spend on an application, which file or email you’re working on and creating a timeline that you can see at a glance. Chrometa charges a monthly fee, but you can take the “tour” first to see if it will work for you and is something that might help you reach your 2013 goals.
- Pomodoro. This is a technique, rather than an app, but it’s great to learn and implement to help you decrease distractions and become much more productive by teaching you how to focus and concentrate. Read about it and tell me what you think. By the way, pomodoro means ‘tomato’ in Italian. ;-)
- KanbanFlow. This is also a great tool and very intuitive in managing projects. You can easily visualize your work by viewing your personal Kanban board that will show your various tasks, how much time you’ve spent and how much time you allotted to a particular task.
You can move tasks around, divide into subtasks or change how you want to deal with it. Kanban Flow is a free tool and also provides a timer. The KanbanFlow method actually utilizes similar principles found in the Pomodoro Technique.
- Create Your Own Time Management Plan. You may only need a simple timer to help you stay focused on a task. Set the timer and then go to work. When time is up, take a quick break and then go to another task.
I plan to use one or some of the great tools out there to help me in my time management goals, but do what works best for you. Click Here to Tweet this Post.
Time is our most precious gift – and when you know how to manage it effectively, you’ll change your world. Make 2013 the best year ever by setting goals and then managing your time so that you can reach them. Start now!
and Understands Your Needs? CLICK HOST WITH CAROL NOW